The educational mandate of Shallaway is carried out via many inter-connected programs. The choir has a major focus on mentorship as a critical path for the encouragement of its learners and the transmission of the culture. This mentorship takes many conscious forms within the organization:
- a formal philosophy of peer coaching and encouragement;
- reflective teaching practice;
- the Advanced Placement Programs for junior choristers;
- para-professional Apprenticeship Programs for senior choristers;
- the Choral Scholarship Program of mentored leadership for senior university students;
- a wide network of partnering with community agencies; and,
- academic research.